Five-year-old Haleigh was last seen on February 9, 2009 sleeping in her family's trailer in the area of Hermit's Cove in Satsuma, Florida. She went to bed at 8:00 p.m. where her younger brother and her father's live-in girlfriend, Misty Janette Croslin.
Haleigh's father, Ronald Lemyles Cummings finished working a second shift and returned home sometime after 3:00 a.m. Misty told Ronald that she found Haleigh missing from her bed and the rear door to the trailer had been propped open with a cinderblock. At 3:37 a.m., Ronald and Misty called 9-1-1 to report Haleigh missing.
Police found no sign of forced entry in the trailer, but they are uncertain whether or not the back door was locked despite Ronald and Misty insisting that it was. An extensive search of the area showed no sign of Haleigh. Ronald says that Haleigh wouldn't have left home by herself at night because she is afraid of the dark.
Ronald was involved in a rough custody battle with Haleigh's biological mother, Crystal Sheffield. In December of 2005, he was given full custody of the kids and he married Misty a month after her disappearance.
Police have been skeptical about Misty's statement about what happened to Haleigh because she kept changing her story. Misty and her older brother accused a man named Joe Overstone of abducting her which he has denied.
As of 2021, Haleigh's case remains unsolved and her case is classified as a homicide.
- 3'0, 39 pounds
- Blonde hair (with red highlights)
- Brown eyes (left eye is lazy)
- Round birthmark on lower left side of her back about four inches in size
- Brown birthmarks on her left cheek and right jawline
- Chubby fingers and toes
- Has a genetic disorder called Turner's Syndrome which requires hormone treatments & monthly visits to a cardiologist and an endocrinologist; may be in need of medical attention.